Ok, super short post, but this is necessary since the weather is getting colder and it’s time for hot chocolate.
You want hot chocolate, but don’t have any mix in the house, and the good stuff is pricey anyway. Just make some yourself. Have sugar? cocoa powder? Great, that’s the basics right there. Just remember 2:1 — 2 parts sugar to 1 part cocoa. Then you can add a pinch of salt, a couple dashes of cinnamon, or whatever else you’d like. You can make up some mix and put it in a container for now and later. Then to make it, take 2 tsps of mix, 1 cup warmed milk (I use unsweetened almond milk.), maybe a squirt of vanilla extract, and you’re set.
A couple of years ago there seemed to be a dutch processed cocoa craze, but I find it limited in use and generally don’t buy it. It’s just cocoa processed with alkali, but because of the alkali it doesn’t work as well in most recipes that call for cocoa powder. Usually they’re talking about the normal stuff, not dutched. Dutched does make great hot cocoa tho, so feel free to use that here. If you’d like to learn more about dutch processed cocoa, there’s a great article here on Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/difference-dutch-process-natural-cocoa-powder-substitute.
Now, on to the recipe…
The first 4 are for the cocoa mix:
- 1 c. (200 g) sugar
- 1/2 c. (about 50 g) cocoa
- pinch salt (optional, about 4 twists of a salt mill)
- couple dashes cinnamon (optional, or chile, also optional, or neither)
- 1 c. (8 oz, 240 g) milk
- vanilla extract (optional)
- Warm up 1 cup milk in the microwave.
- Place 2 heaping teaspoons cocoa mix in your favorite hot chocolate mug. Put the rest of the cocoa mix in another container for later use.
- Add a little bit of the warmed milk (maybe 1/4 c? You just need enough to dissolve the mix.). Stir well.
- Add the rest of the milk and a squirt of vanilla if you’d like. Stir.
- Top with non-dairy topping, marshmallows, etc or not.
I know I should show a picture of a nice wide, white mug with hot chocolate and whipped cream or marshmallows, but 1) I didn’t use whipped cream, 2) it was in my Lego mug, and 3) I drank it before I got a picture. So, silly picture time. See in the instructions how I didn’t add the milk all at once? That way the cocoa mix all dissolves and stirs up smoothly. No powder glops while I was drinking or in the bottom of the mug: